Women’s Super League round-up: Man City survive Birmingham scare | Football News

Manchester City have been forced to work for their second consecutive WSL win as they have been reassembled twice to beat a daring Birmingham side 3-2 at St Andrew’s.

Gareth Taylor’s City could have been in the lead within five minutes when Ellen White hit the post, and after Lauren Hemp and Caroline Weir missed their target in a dominant opening period for the visitors, the Blues took the lead. with 28 minutes on the clock, when Christie Murray took home a penalty following a foul on Veatriki Sarri.

The guests – who had beaten Aston Villa 5-0 in their last outing on 20 November – responded in style when Georgia Stanway scored a superb distance draw, but it was the penultimate Birmingham to regain the lead when Louise Quinn he found the net from inside the box.

Hemp then scored the 2-2 at half-time when he nodded in an inviting Hayley Raso cross and while an organized Blues team held out for most of the second half, they couldn’t stop White from cutting in after a cut. -back from Khadija Shaw.

Man Utd Women have won their first match since 3 October against Brighton

In the first kick-off of the day, Manchester United they recorded their first win in five games as they batted Brighton 2-0 at the People’s Pension Stadium in Crawley.

Marc Skinner’s guests created the best chances all along, but were repeatedly held at bay by the authoritative defense of Victoria Williams and the brave goalkeeper of Megan Walsh, who had swept away almost everything she had faced during the first. weather.

But on the stroke of half-time, she was beaten when Ella Toone picked up a short corner and hit a shot from the edge of the box that was helped over the line by Hayley Ladd.

United then closed the game with just over 20 minutes left when Alessia Russo began a furious run on the right wing and crossed for Vilde Boe Risa, who converted from close range.

Meanwhile, Everton And West Ham played a fun 1-1 draw at Walton Hall Park.

The Hammers took the lead when Zaneta Wyne jumped over the line after being spotted by Katerina Svitkova, but the hosts earned a share of the loot when Toni Duggan fired in the middle of the fly with 14 minutes left.

Leave a Comment