Travis ScottThe Astroworld Festival 2021 left nine attendees dead and more injured after a crowd rushed to the stage.
As 29-year-old rapper “Sicko Mode” performed in Houston, Texas on Friday, November 5, the crowd surged forward and caused a mass crash.
“This is a tragic night,” Houston Fire Chief Samuel Pena he said during a press conference early Saturday November 6. “We know we have had at least 8 confirmed deaths tonight and we have had dozens of people injured here in this event.”
Peña noted that nearly 50,000 people attended the music festival, explaining that around 9pm the crowd had “started to squeeze towards the front of the stage”, causing panic and injury.
“At the beginning of the mass incident, when it was triggered … We transferred 17 patients to the hospital,” Peña added at the time. “We won’t know the cause of death of the confirmed eight until the coroner completes his investigation, but we’re in the process – the Houston Police Department – is sending units to hospitals to identify these patients.”
The incident occurred during the sold out outdoor festival, which was held at NRG Park.
The wave of crowds “was caused by panic because people were running for safety,” says a source close to the investigation. We weekly. “The rapid response from security from Astroworld and on-site personnel has undoubtedly saved even more people from getting hurt or worse.”
During the show, Scott interrupted his performance “three times” to ask what had happened, according to a source.
“He asked everyone in the area to help them and take them to the front,” an insider said We. “As soon as they realized what was happening, they put an end to the show in the interest of public safety.”
Shared the official social page of the event a declaration support Saturday, writing, “Our hearts are with the Astroworld Festival family tonight, especially those we have lost and their loved ones. We focus on supporting local officials as much as we can.”
In the statement, it was confirmed that the festival’s Saturday lineup has been canceled.
“As the authorities mentioned earlier in their press conference, they are looking into the string of cardiac arrests that have taken place,” the social media statement read. “Thanks to our partners at the Houston Police Department, the Fire Department and NRG Park for their response and support.”
Scott’s mate, Kylie Jenner, shared the footage of the concert hours earlier via Instagram Story, having attended with her sister Kendall Jenner. The founder of Kylie Cosmetics, 24, has posted shots of a trailer with the name of her 3-year-old daughter Stormi on it along with videos of the concerts during the rapper’s set. In Jenner’s Instagram videos, the crowded crowd was seen jumping during her fiance’s performance, which was complete with fireworks on stage.
The musician’s annual festival completed a week of “Astroweek” programming, which he described via Instagram in October as “a wild week”.
“But giving the city inspiring features and activities for charity is a must,” Scott wrote at the time. “Join us all week for a lot of ? reveals and produced. Bringing those I build with to town and thank them for stepping into this vision and doing hammmmmm.
Scroll below to learn more about the incident so far: