‘Prince’ Charles Martin vows not to retire after Luis Ortiz defeat: ‘He will make one more run at the title’ | Boxing News

“Prince” Charles Martin can “reverse the trajectory of his career” after losing to Luis Ortiz, so he will not retire from the ring, his manager said.

Martin’s attempt to return to the top of the heavyweight division was thwarted by a knockout defeat to Ortiz last Saturday.

Now at the age of 35 and six years after losing his IBF belt to Anthony Joshua, sentencing him to the second shortest reign ever, he still hasn’t given up hope.

Image:
Martin had shot Ortiz down twice

“Retirement is not a consideration,” Martin manager Mike Borao told Sky Sports.

“Charles was comfortably winning the bout and was caught with a perfect punch. As history shows, it can happen to anyone.”

Martin had knocked down Ortiz twice before succumbing to a massive left hand which resulted in his death.

Martin Ortiz
Image:
Martin was KO’d by Ortiz

“There are many options available to Charles that can reverse his career trajectory overnight: Deontay Wilder, Andy Ruiz Jr, Joseph Parker, Derek Chisora ​​or maybe a rematch with Adam Kownacki,” said Borao. .

“There is no question that Charles is one of the top 15 heavyweights to beat anyone on a given night, as he demonstrated this weekend by beating Ortiz twice and leading the scorecards.

“Recently, Robert Helenius lost to Gerald Washington only to return with two huge wins over Kownacki that brought him back into contention for the title.

US boxer Charles Martin during public training in London on Monday 4 April 2016. There will be an IBF world heavyweight title fight between US champion Charles Martin and undefeated British Olympic star Anthony Joshua in London Saturday 9 April.  (AP Photo / Kirsty Wigglesworth)
Image:
Charles Martin is aiming for “another race” for the title

“Charles is able to do exactly the same thing.

“Twenty-three months of inactivity during the pandemic certainly didn’t help, so Charles will be taking a well-deserved vacation with his family and returning with a tune-up period in late March or early April.

“He will make another title race”.

Will Luis Ortiz miss his title chance?

Please use the Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Ortiz was demolished by Deontay Wilder in a WBC title fight

Martin was ranked No. 1 by the IBF prior to his defeat to Ortiz, who gained a chance to face Filip Hrgovic (ranked # 2) in a final eliminator to decide the mandatory challenger.

Oleksandr Usyk is set to defend the IBF, WBA and WBO titles against Anthony Joshua in a rematch.

Please use the Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Filip Hrgovic has eliminated Eric Molina

“We are willing to take him, Luis definitely wants another chance for the title,” Ortiz manager Jay Jiminez told Sky Sports.

But a hand injury sustained by 42-year-old Ortiz will prevent him from fighting, Hrgovic promoter Nisse Sauerland told Sky Sports.

Joseph Parker vs Derek Chisora, WBO Intercontinental Heavyweight Title Fight, Manchester.  December 18th 2021. Photo of Mark Robinson Matchroom Boxing.
Image:
Parker impressed by the mistreatment of Derek Chisora

Joseph Parker (ranked # 3) emerged as the opponent to fight Hrgovic to decide the mandatory challenger for Usyk.

Hrgovic’s promoters claim to have accepted the IBF’s order to fight Parker.

Parker beat and knocked Derek Chisora ​​down three times last month. He is a former WBO champion.

Leave a Comment