Otto Wallin belongs to the “best” in the world and still wants to face Dillian Whyte after he draws near agonizingly to a match, says promoter Dmitriy Salita.
Wallin was supposed to fight Whyte in October, but the interim British WBC champion had to withdraw from the bout due to a shoulder injury and has now received a mandatory WBC title fight against Tyson Fury.
With the complicated talks between Fury and Whyte still to be completed, Salita says Wallin is watching with interest and remains confident he can figure in Brixton’s heavyweight plans.
“Otto Wallin has already proven himself to be one of the best heavyweights in the world,” Salita told Sky Sports.
“He was scheduled to fight Dillian Whyte on October 30, and was on his way to the airport when the interim WBC title fight was postponed.
“Now, if the fight between Tyson and Whyte cannot be agreed upon, then the fight that will take place is Otto vs Whyte.”
Top Rank president Todd DuBoef told Sky Sports last week that he was attempting to schedule the Fury vs Whyte fight.
“We could have a fight in the UK in the first quarter of next year, and Whyte is a terrific fight,” he said.
“We want to get the date and get him in the ring as quickly as possible.”
Wallin’s only defeat came in points against Fury, in a brutal fight in September 2019, and Salita believes the 31-year-old is a threat to all the best fighters in the division.
“Otto has improved a lot from his very close fight with Tyson Fury,” Salita said.
“He landed more punches than Deontay Wilder and Wladimir Klitschko combined when they first shared the ring with Fury.
“He’s gotten even better, adding two more wins from Fury’s fight, and he’s ready to fight the best.”