N Forest 0 – 1 Huddsf’ld

Huddersfield weathered a significant pressure storm to secure a 1-0 win at the City Ground that left Nottingham Forest kicking in frustration.

Steve Cooper’s team created chances after chances on both sides of Duane Holmes’ 30-minute goal for the visitors.

But goalkeeper Lee Nicholls made a series of saves and Forest dismissed a series of opportunities as they somehow managed to come out empty-handed from a match they could have easily won by a comfortable margin.

Sorba Thomas rocked the crossbar with a fierce and spectacular shot for Huddersfield in the first 20 seconds, having found space to fly from 22 yards on the right side.

Forest responded with Brennan Johnson crossing for Lewis Grabban but, while the striker’s first touch was good, he couldn’t make room for a shot. It was to set the tone for what was to follow.

Xande Silva nearly scored her first start for Forest with a goal, as she saw two desperately loaded shots.

Huddersfield had to make a substitution in the 15 minutes when Danny Ward limped out to be replaced by Jordan Rhodes.

Philip Zinckernagel forces Nicholls to an awkward save with a shot that bounces right in front of the keeper. James Garner tried to surprise Nicholls with a clever free-kick, but the Huddersfield man was up to par. Johnson threw a header to the side.

Just as Forest started looking more likely to score, Huddersfield took the lead.

Harry Toffolo summoned his fourth assist in as many games as Holmes chose, who ended abruptly, beating Brice Samba at the near post. The former Derby man Holmes celebrated by cupping his hands to his ears in front of the home fans.

Forest responded as both Garner and Joe Worrall fired within inches of the wrong side of the post.

But Zinckernagel got even closer as he pounded a rocket into the crossbar, which bounced off the turf and off.

Nicholls must make another exceptional save before half-time, this time to block an instinctive shot from Silva.

Zinckernagel was denied again by Nicholls early in the second half, but Forest had a big foul too, as Danel Sinani fired over when a mistake by Worrall gave him a clear view of the goal.

Johnson dismissed a good chance for Forest, while Samba had to make a clear save to keep Lewis O’Brien out, in the midst of a thrilling match. Nicholls held out a low shot from Silva and Johnson should have scored the loose ball, but fired into the side net.

Forest continued to put pressure, creating a series of chances, without being able to make the leap in quality. Spence charged a shot, sub Cafu threw a header to the side. Johnson pushed wide from the edge of the area.

Leave a Comment