EFL highlights and round-up: Blackburn beat Bournemouth; Fulham held | Football News

Jan Paul van Hecke scored his first goal at Blackburn as the Rovers beat stuttering rivals Bournemouth promotion 2-0 to claim their fourth consecutive league win.

Van Hecke headed home midway through the second half to add to Ben Pearson’s own goal in the first half and take Tony Mowbray’s men to fourth in the standings.

The defeat extends Bournemouth’s winless run to second place to five games, but the Cherries still remain in automatic promotion positions.

Their advantage on West Brom are now only three points, however, after Callum Robinson’s second-half goal gave Albion a well-deserved 1-0 win against Reading to the Hawthorns.

Heads Fulham were held back for a 1-1 draw Luton. Aleksandar Mitrovic’s 22nd goal of the season opened the scoring for the Cottagers, but Elijah Adebayo leveled things off shortly after the hour and the points were shared.

Nottingham Forest extended his unbeaten run to eight league games as manager Steve Cooper celebrated a 4-1 win over the former club Swansea.

All goals came in an action-packed second half as Philip Zinckernagel and Lewis Grabban put Forest two goals ahead before Joel Piroe gave Swansea hope.

But the outstanding Brennan Johnson took advantage of Ben Hamer’s keeper’s howl and substitute Cafu hit deep in injury time to finish the points.

Luke Plange scored his first senior goal to give impoverished Derby a 1-0 win Blackpool at Pride Park, while Stoke and Middlesbrough challenged a goalless stalemate.

Ryan Lowe’s first game driving Preston it ended in a 2-1 win as Daniel Johnson scored a late winner to sink in trouble Barnsley.

Home captain Alan Browne put Preston in the lead and Tykes skipper Cauley Woodrow brought his team to the level before Johnson took the winner.

There was also 2-1 at London Road where Peterborough came from behind to defeat Millwall, who had scored with Tom Bradshaw in the 16 ‘. An own goal from Danny McNamara and a goal from substitute Jonson Clarke-Harris turned the game around.

Matt Godden’s header in recovery saved a point for Coventry as Huddersfield had to settle for a 1-1 draw after taking the lead thanks to Danny Ward’s first goal.

Matty James’ injury time equalizer recovered a point for Bristol City in a 2-2 draw Hull, who had led twice in the match with goals from Ryan Longman and George Honeyman. Antoine Semenyo scored the Robins’ first draw before James scored.

There was also the 2-2 at St Andrew’s where Cardiff came from two goals less to snatch a point against Birmingham. Troy Deeney and Ivan Sunjic scored in the first half for the hosts, but Kieffer Moore and Mark McGuinness, who returned home in injury time, responded for the Bluebirds.

Sky Bet League One

A guardian Freddie Ladapo helped Rotherham knock out the top of Sky Bet League One with a 3-1 win against Burton.

The striker scored 24 minutes in the first half, but Kane Hemmings pulled back for the Brewers before half-time.

Ladapo responded, scoring two minutes into the second half, and a Daniel Barlaser free-kick goal gave the Millers a two-point lead at the top of the table.

Runner up Wigan lost pace after losing points in a 1-1 draw with Ipswich, in which James Norwood canceled Callum Lang’s opening, while Wycombe slipped to fourth after relying on a Joe Jacobson penalty in injury time to save a 2-2 draw at home for AFC Wimbledon.

Jack Rudoni scored in the fourth minute for Wimbledon, before Adebayo Akinfenwa’s second-half lob equalized the scores.

Rudoni scored two more minutes after injury time, but a Paul Osew foul gave the Chairboys a lifeline for Jacobson to steal a point.

Sunderland moved over Wycombe in third place after beating Plymouth Argyle 2-1 at the Stadium of Light.

The Black Cats quickly took the lead with Dan Neil and Nathan Broadhead doubled the lead 10 minutes later with a nice heel strike on the net.

Dan Scarr scored a consolation goal for the Pellegrini, who drop to sixth place in the standings.

Oxford United back to beating MK wears 2-1 after the hosts had initially gone 1-0 with Hiram Boateng in the 11th minute.

Goals from Matt Taylor and Mark Sykes saw the U take the lead but were reduced to 10 men at the bottom of injury time when Jordan Thorniley was sent off after being shown a second yellow card.

A Conor Washington tutor Charlton hit Cambridge 2-0 and Portsmouth remain unbeaten in their last nine league games after goals from Marcus Harness and Connor Ogilvie saw them win 2-0 against Morecambe.

A goal from Matty Blair with five minutes of added time earned Cheltenham a point against Lincoln, drawing 2-2.

Alfie May opened the scoring and Teddy Bishop scored twice for the Imps, scoring in the 69th minute and in injury time, but Blair’s late header shared the tally.

Tommy Leigh scored the only goal for Accrington beat Bolton, while Doncaster moved off the bottom of the table after Joseph Olowu scored with 10 minutes left for the Rovers to beat Shrewsbury 1-0

The result has seen Crewe sinking to the bottom of the leaderboard after being defeated 2-0 by Sheffield Wednesday.

Barry Bannan scored Wednesday in the 27th minute, but the Owls captain conceded a penalty just before half-time for handling the ball in the box.

Bailey Peacock-Farrell was able to save Chris Porter’s spot-kick and Lee Gregory doubled Wednesday’s two-minute lead in the second half with a header.

Fleetwood he made streak victories by beating Gillingham 2-1.

Harrison Biggins and Tom Clarke scored for the Cod Army and Robbie McKenzie scored a consolation for the Gills.

Sky Bet League Two

A 10-goal thriller entertained fans at Boundary Park as Forest green And Oldham scored five points each and shared the loot in the highest-scoring match in Sky Bet League Two this season.

Davis Keillor-Dunn gave the hosts the lead before Jack Aitchison equalized and Jamille Matt’s brace in the first half gave the visitors a 3-1 lead at the break.

Goals continued to flow into the second period as Matt Stevens bagged, but Oldham threatened to return with two quick goals from Hallam Hope and Keillor-Dunn again.

Stevens got his second of the game to extend the visitors’ lead to 5-3, but the Latics did not go away as Jack Stobbs and an own goal from Kane Wilson scored 5-5 to give both sides one point each.

An Otis Khan double helped Walsall scored their first win in five games in all competitions with a 3-0 win Colchester at the banking stage.

Brendan Kiernan prepared the 26-year-old for his first time as he beat past U goalkeeper Jake Turner and Khan had his second with a ferocious volley from Stephen Ward’s delivery before Jack Earing closed all three points with the
Third saddler.

The 10 men of Bradford he came twice from behind to take a point against Sutton at the Utilita Energy Stadium.

Skipper Niall Canavan received the order to run shortly after the half hour when he knocked down Omar Bugiel in the penalty area and Rob Milsom sent the resulting penalty.

The Bantams reacted with Theo Robinson, but Alistair Smith regained the advantage for the visitors before Lee Angol saved an unlikely point from the 2-2 draw with 10 minutes remaining.

Bristol Rovers he scored two goals in the last six minutes to earn a 4-2 win over Rochdale at the Stadium of Memory.

Gas took a two-goal lead thanks to jabs from Anthony Evans and Aaron Collins, but a quick double from Jake Beesley leveled things out before the Rovers regained their lead with Harry Anderson and Collins getting his second to finish the points.

Exeter they have failed to win in their last four league games after suffering a 1-0 defeat at the hands of Tranmere in St James Park.

Nevitt fired a shot into the far corner early in the first half to score the goal, but Callum McManaman’s dismissal in injury time took some of the shine from the result for Micky Mellon’s men.

Defensive duo Fraser Horsfall and Jon Guthrie were on the scoresheet to help Northampton the defeat Harrogate 2-1 at EnviroVent Stadium.

Horsfall put the visitors ahead before Jack Diamond evened things out, but Guthrie took the winner early in the second half while the Cobblers took four out of four wins.

George Francomb and Kwesi Appiah scored both sides of a Glenn Morris own goal to help Crawley hit East Leyton 2-1 for the first win in four games.

Mansfield came from a goal to the end Salfordof six consecutive unbeaten games with a 2-1 win at One Call Stadium.

The Stags fell behind when Matty Lund scored for Gary Bowyer’s men in the ninth minute, but goals from Rhys Oates and Stephen McLaughlin just before half-time gave Mansfield a fourth win in as many games.

Newport cut the gap with promotion seats to a lonely spot as they came from behind to beat Porto Vale 2-1 at Rodney’s parade.

Ben Garrity overtook the visitors ahead, but second-half efforts from Dom Telford and Finn Azaz completed the comeback for the Exiles and a red card from Dan Jones rubbed salt into Vale’s wounds.

Jon Mellish and Jordan Gibson helped Carlisle rise above Stevenage with a 2-0 win at Lamex Stadium.

The stalemate could not be unlocked at the Suit Direct stadium such as Hartlepool And Scunthorpe played a goalless draw.

Leave a Comment